Nicholas Gillentine

Nicholas Gillentine, born in 1776, son of William G. Gillentine and Margaret Hurt. By 1799 (according to tax records of Grainger Co TN) he had moved to Tennessee and settled in what was to become White County. White County, Tennessee was established September 11, 1806, partitioned from Smith and Jackson Counties.

The first court of White County was assembled and held in the home of Joseph Terry, father-in-law of Nicholas, who married Jane Terry in 1796. The site of this first court was at the present town of Rock Island on Caney Fork of Stone River in what is now Warren County, October 13, 1806. Three years later, in 1809, an act of legislature was passed establishing the town of Sparta which has ever since been the county seat of White County.

Appointed in 1810 to lay off the town of Sparta were: Thomas Bounds, Aaron England, James Fulkerson, Benjamin Weaver, Turner Lane, Alexander Lowrey, and Nicholas Gillentine. Nicholas Gillentine was made Justice of Peace in 1806, where he served for several years. His first son, John, was made Constable on November 18, 1812, and was appointed Justice of Peace May, 1836. According to tax records for the years 1811-1813, Nicholas owned 189 acres at Canny Fork of Stone River. Nicholas also fought in the war of 1812.

Nicholas Gillentine married Jane Terry, October 20, 1796. They had 14 children (original source: the bible of John Gillentine).

Nicolas Gillentine is listed in the 1820 Federal Census for White Co. Tenn with: 2 M 10-16, 1 M 18-26, 1 M over 45; 4 F under 10, 2 F 10-16, 1 F 16-26, 1 F 26-45, and 1 F over 45. He is listed in the 1830 Federal Census for McNairy Co. Tenn. with: 1 WM 5-10, 1 WM 20-25, 1 WM 50-60, 2 WF 10-15, 1 WF 50-60, 1 WF 70-80

A broken tombstone in the Weaver-Hickman Graveyard, located on Cherry Creek has the names: Nicholas & Jane (Gillentine)

More information about Nicolas Gillentine in Tennessee


Back to the Family Tree

Also see Terry-Gillentine Connection

Lynn Garry Salmon <>{